Fri, Aug 20|
Indian Performing Arts Presents "Incredible India" Bhoomi
Masks are strongly encouraged for all attendees, especially if you are unvaccinated. Remember, though we are outside, our performances are large gatherings. Many evening performances will be simultaneously live streamed to make it possible for those who did not secure tickets!
Time & Location
Aug 20, 2021, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM CDT
Houston, 6000 Hermann Park Dr, Houston, TX 77030, USA
About the event
Bhoomi explores one of humanity’s greatest challenges – climate change – through the lens of Indian philosophical thought. Framed by the portrayal of the five natural elements – space, air, fire, water, and earth – the work depicts the evolution of humanity’s connection to these fundamental aspects of the earth’s existence. It asks why and how have we gotten to this point and what might we do to slow this course we have laid for ourselves?
The work unfolds in front of paintings by award-winning artist Shanthi Chandrasekhar and lush designs from Dylan Uremovich. India-based music composer Praveen Rao provides a sweeping and innovative original score.
Bhoomi was commissioned in 2018 by the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Local Dance Commissioning Project (LDCP). Kalanidhi Dance was one of only three dance companies from the Washington, D.C. region to receive the award in 2018. LDCP supports local dance artists by commissioning work and presenting it to a wide audience via the Millennium Stage. The project provides funds for each artist to create a new work and a venue to premiere it in, as well as rehearsal space, artistic mentorship, and technical assistance.
Indian Performing Arts Samskriti has a vision of uniting cultural traditions between the East and the West. By bringing the best of Indian fine arts from around the world to Houston audiences and by promoting cross-cultural programs involving Indian and American artists from different ethnic backgrounds in meaningful collaborations, Samskriti has more than amply fulfilled its mission in its twenty five years of service to Houston arts
Bhoomi is supported in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
All performances at Miller Outdoor Theatre are FREE!TO GET YOUR TICKETS - GO ONLINE to MILLER OUTDOOR THEATER at 9am on the 18th of August and register. More information......
- Tickets will be available here beginning 9:00 AM two days prior to the performance date
- Online tickets will be available until 12:00 PM on the day of the performance
- Tickets are still FREE!
- For those with disabilities or those who do not have access to the internet or a printer call 832-487-7123
- The Box Office will open an hour and a half before the performance
- Tickets are only for covered seating. No ticket is required for the Hill!
- You must sit in your assigned seat. No Changing Seats
- No late seating.
- Unclaimed seats may be released to the public 5 minutes before show time and managements discretion
- For more details on policies click here.